5 Creative Christmas Present Ideas


Do you want to make some or all of your Christmas presents this year, but unsure of where to start? I love making my own gifts as I feel like they're more genuine in most cases than just buying one from a store. The one question that I know people think when they decide they want to make something as a gift, and that's "What should I make?" I have thought of 5 different, but simple, ideas that anyone would enjoy to do (even if you aren't very crafty).

1. Paint on some pallets

Pallet art has become very popular, so why not paint your own? It's easy to do, and will look amazing when it's finished and hanging up on the wall of whoever you decide to give it to (if you can give it up that is). Businesses are constantly throwing out old pallets, so why not recycle them into artwork for everyone to enjoy? Here are a few examples I have made over the years. I make most of them with stencils, using carbon paper to trace it onto the wood, then I paint it! It's super easy! Not only is it super easy, but people LOVE them!





2. Make a calendar

Seriously, if you have a child (or children) this is an AMAZING gift to give to grandparents, other family members, or friends! I give all of the grandparents one of these every year, and even though it's not really a surprise anymore, they still look forward to seeing the adorable photos I add to each page of my son. This year I decided to use Picaboo since I got a deal off of Groupon, but even without a deal these calendars are only about $20 each, which is still pretty cheap for designing your own! This year we decided to have a little photoshoot in our living room where we took fun, seasonal photos (as seen  below).





3. Make something in an art class

Go to an art class, make something, then give it to someone you care about! I have gone to a couple of art classes recently, and it occurred to me that this would be a great way to give someone you love something you created yourself, and you wouldn't be able to make at home (unless you have an art studio, which in that case I'm very jealous). An example of an art class would be making clay mugs or fusing glass together to make a plate! I’ve gone to an art studio called 4Cats that's located here in Nanaimo BC, but they have other locations in Alberta too. Their classes are pretty cheap as well! 2 people for $35... Um yes please! If you don't have a 4Cats studio in your city, there are many art studios who book classes like this one as well. This also makes a great date night for you and your hubby who are striving to find something different to do, since a dinner and a movie can get boring after a while, which makes it a double bonus!


4. Wood burn a picture onto a cutting board

This year I decided to buy a wood burner on Amazon for only $16.99, and it works very good! I also ordered a couple of cutting boards on there as well for about $15 each! For my mom , I wood burned some designs onto the boards to make a custom piece of work she will enjoy for years! I can't wait to see her face when she opens one of her presents this year! :)

Here is the design I found for the cutting board.


5. Make some homemade candles in a cute cup!

As simple as it sounds, this is probably one of my favourite. Especially since the candles I made had some lavender from my garden! But some that you buy in the store work just as great! I found this beautiful cup at Walmart for only about $3 each, and the wax was from there as well in the craft section. And look how cute they turned out! This might be a good DIY tutorial to show you guys some time. :)



No comments