Why I'm Choosing to Pump Before Birth

** Disclosure: I'm not a doctor, and pumping before birth isn't recommended for everyone. Please ask your healthcare provider if it's safe before you do so.

Why Would You Want To?

There's many reasons why a mom would decide to pump early before baby arrives. Honestly, I never even thought about it until a week before my due date (which is August 8th), and I was looking online for tips on how to induce labour. Being pregnant in the summer time, I've been getting pretty desperate to have this baby!

I came across an article saying pumping could possibly induce labour because it stimulates the hormones needed to for contractions. It made sense to me, so I took my pump out of it's box, cleaned it, and started pumping away! I thought this was a great way to not only induce labour, but also save some of the colostrum that's been leaking out of me for months!

When my son was born, he we had a very difficult time with breastfeeding. He was having a hard time latching, putting a lot of stress on me, which isn't good when you're trying to produce milk. I even had to supplement him with formula for a while, and use a nipple shield so he'd be able to latch on properly. So instead of throwing away the tiny amount of colostrum I've been able to produce during the end of my pregnancy this time, I've decided to store it in the freezer until baby arrives. I've learned, especially from having a baby before, that you can never be too prepared! 

Is it Safe?

Since there's not much research on the topic, unfortunately there's not one straight answer. But from what I've read, women all over the world continue to breastfeed their older child while pregnant, so why wouldn't it be safe for a mama to pump before the arrival of her new baby? However, it's best to speak with your healthcare provider and see if it's right for you. Some reasons pumping before birth may not be safe include:
∙ Having a high-risk pregnancy
∙ Being pregnant with multiples
∙ Had a previous pre-term delivery

How Are You Going to Store Your Colostrum?

I'm going to be storing mine in a few syringes I found at my local pharmacy, and in a plastic bag for extra protection. I have a regular freezer, where I can store my colostrum for up to 3 months! I'll probably use it before then, but it's much safer than storing in the fridge (where I could easily forget about it).

What is Colostrum?

Colostrum, or liquid gold, is your first milk that comes in. It's very high in nutrients, which is perfect for your baby's immune system and digestive tract. It's often considered as your infant's first immunizations because it contains a large number of antibodies to help your little one fight off germs, especially during the first few days where baby's immune system is the most weak. 

What Breast Pump Do You Use?

I use the Philips Avent Single Electric breast pump. I used this exact pump when my son was breastfeeding 5 years ago too, and I loved it. It's very comfortable to use, and a perfect fit when I breastfeed and pump collectively (which I often do in order to enhance my milk supply). 


Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post about why I'm choosing to pumping early!
I hope you found this information useful, but again ask your healthcare professional if pumping early is right for you as I'm not a doctor! :)

No comments