What's in my Hospital Bag? (The Second Time Around)




As the count down is on for our little one's arrival, I've been slowly starting to pack things into my hospital bag. After the first time giving birth in the hospital, I couldn't believe some of the things I forgot! Like a bra! After your milk comes in, a bra is something you definitely will need. Luckily the nurse was awesome and made me a bandeau-like bra out of some of their granny panty underwear they have at the hospital. It made me feel better knowing that that probably meant I wasn't the only one who's ever forgot to pack a bra in their hospital bag!

I'm going to share with you some other things I learned to pack after the last time I was in the hospital with my first baby. 

Here are some essentials I'm going to make sure to pack with me this time:

1. Nursing bra

First on the list because I forgot this last time, and you'll want a bra when your milk comes in!

2. Breast pads

The hospital might have some, but if you choose to use reusables I'd bring your own! 

3. Baby clothes

What size? Not knowing how big your baby is going to be can make this difficult, so I suggest packing 1-2 pairs of NB, 0-3 months, and even 3-6 months clothing just to be safe!

4. Baby socks

1 or 2 will do as baby won't be getting them dirty!

5. Baby hat

It's cold outside the womb so baby might enjoy a hat to wear home!

6. Burp blanket 

This is good to bring during the car ride home, just in case baby spits up in the car, or you can even roll it up and put it on the side of baby in the car seat to keep his/her neck from moving side to side. 

7. Chapstick

Going into labour means a lot of heavy breathing, and a lot of breathing often leads to chapped lips! 

8. Socks for mama

Comfy clothes are a must after giving birth!

9. Underwear

I suggest buying some new underwear that you won't mind ruining. As gross as it may be, you often bleed a lot after having a baby.

10. Pads

Again, because bleeding happens haha.

11. Slippers/Flip flops

Depending on what you like! You could even bring some flip-flop slippers even? Yes, that is a thing. And yes, that's what is in my hospital bag this time.

12. Comfy PJs

Just in case you have to spend the night in the hospital!

13. Change of clothes

For when you're going home with your new baby you can feel all refreshed in a new pair of clothes!

14. Phone charger

To make sure your phone doesn't die as you're spamming the internet with cute newborn baby pics, and texting all of your friends and family about the news!

15. Your favourite snacks

If you don't want to only eat hospital food during your stay, I suggest you pack some of your favourite snacks! 

16. Water Bottle

It's very important to stay hydrated of course, but especially after giving birth and when you're producing milk!

17. Razor

I absolutely hate having little stubbly body hair. It makes me feel uncomfortable and dirty. I have nothing against women who choose to grow their hair out however, it's just something I'm not into personally, so if you're like me, then bring a razor with! Especially if you'll be spending the night in the hospital! 

18. Shampoo/Conditioner

All that sweating from giving birth will make you want to clean your hair afterwards. If your scalp needs the expensive stuff like mine does (sigh), then you should bring your own so you don't have to use the hospital soap they may or may not provide you with.

19. Toothbrush/Toothpaste

I often feel like I'm going to forget bringing a toothbrush and toothpaste, even though I usually never do! It's just one of those things that is hidden in your bathroom, away from everything else that you need to pack. Dental hygiene is important, but it also isn't a big deal if you miss a night of brushing your teeth!

No comments